Are there business opportunities with Prime contractors?
YES, There are contracting opportunities with Prime contractors.
Pursuant to the Small Business Act, as amended by Public Law 95-507, large business prime contractors receiving federal contracts valued at over $1.5 million for construction, $650,000 for all other contracts, are required to establish plans and goals for subcontracting with small business firms.
How can you find potential prime contractors?
There are several on line Prime Contractor directories:
- Department of Defense – DoD Subcontracting Directory
- The US SBA hosts the Sub-NET system. Sub-NET is a listing of opportunities that are available for subcontracting with Federal prime contractors.
- The US SBA also hosts an on-line Subcontracting Directory
- General Services Administration (GSA) – GSA Subcontracting Directory
Remember that Prime contractors will need to know about your business. They will want to know:
- If you are a Small Business and if you have any of the US SBA business designations or certifications (such as 8(a), HUBZone, etc.).
- If you have past experience with other Prime contractors or Federal agencies.
- If you have the capacity and capabilities to meet their requirements.
Where will the Primes find this information? There are several sources they will use, including:
- The System for Award management (SAM) – www.SAM.gov. Although the Federal Government does not require Federal subcontractors to register in SAM, Prime contractors will look for subcontractors in the SAM system and may require you to register in SAM.
- Your company’s website. One of the easiest ways for someone to learn about what your business does is to look at your website.
- Websites such as ThomasNet, membership listings such as those for trade groups or chambers, as well as mention is press releases or awards or similar public mention.
- Information gathered at meetings, workshops and conferences. We recommend taking every possible opportunity to meet with potential partners at procurement and government business events. We also recommend that you prepare a single page capabilities statement to have available at the meetings. WPI posts upcoming events to our events page