- This event has passed.
Federal 8(a) Program: Obtaining Certification and Maximizing Opportunities – Milwaukee, WI
March 10 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am
Businesses that are considered Small Disadvantaged Businesses (SDB) due to social and economic disadvantage may qualify for certification under the 8(a) program. This presentation is recommended for any small business that may qualify as socially and economically disadvantaged, and wants to take advantage of the benefits of the 8(a) program.
While there is no goal for the 8(a) program, the SBA supports a goal of 5% set aside for SDB. The 8(a) program is not a minority business program, but has many benefits that include preference in contracting, preferential teaming agreements and focused business development training.
Business certified under the 8(a) program can also:
- Receive sole source contracts,
- Compete for set-aside contracts
- Receive assistance from a Business Opportunity Specialist to help navigate federal contracting
- Form joint ventures with established businesses through the SBA’s Mentor-Protégé Program
- Receive management and technical assistance, including business training, counseling, marketing assistance and high-level executive development
During this session we will cover:
- The very basics of selling to the Federal Government
• 8(a) certification requirements
• 8(a) certification application process
• Locating 8(a) set aside opportunities
• Marketing your 8(a) business
- Shane Mahaffy, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Benjamin Blanc, Wisconsin Procurement Institute (WPI)
There is NO COST to attend this workshop, but registration is required.